The Nashville Chamber released a report with some of the major employers in the city. No surprise that companies like Vanderbilt University Medical Center and HCA topped the list. In fact, all but one of the top 5 companies are related to health care. Other companies on the list might surprise you: Lowe’s Cos., Shoney’s, Dollar General Corp. all have headquarters in Nashville! Not to mention the companies located in the surrounding areas: Tractor Supple Co. in Franklin and Venture Express in LaVergne.
Nashville: A Great Place to Start a Business
So why do these companies plant their roots in the Nashville area? Recent business leaders have cited multiple reasons:
- Lower Taxes. In 2014, Tennessee voters passed a constitutional amendment forever prohibiting a state income tax.
- Cost of Living. For example, the cost of living in Nashville is about 35% less than in New York City and other popular HQ locations. Retweet that for your friends who left Nashville after college.
- Employee Perks and Attraction. Tennessee isn’t a bad place to raise a family either. There are many top-tier colleges, programs, and job opportunities; and now Tennessee high schoolers are able to attend community college or technical school tuition-free!
- Quicker Commutes. Transit has been a hot topic here in Nashville. Regardless of a “new” transit system, Nashville traffic still isn’t as severe as the traffic that people face in Los Angeles, Washington DC, and New York.
There are other reasons we think Nashville is a great place to start a business:
- Infrastructure. Gigabit internet is now offered in areas across Tennessee, making it easier and more affordable to operate your business.
- Food. Members of our team have traveled many parts of the country, but still say Nashville has the best food options. It’s a melting pot of foreign foods, local restaurants that keep you coming back, and coffee shops on nearly every corner.
- Talent. Our office has met many talented people over the years, all of whom live in middle Tennessee and are excited to work innovative jobs.
You probably already knew Nashville is an awesome place to live. That’s why Collins Legal opened its office downtown on Union Street.
Nashville on the Short List for Major Businesses
Just last week, AllianceBernstein announced its move from Wall Street to Nashville after fifty years in NYC. Amazon hasn’t announced a decision on HQ2, but Nashville made the short-list. With more companies moving to Nashville than from Nashville, there is no doubt things will only get rowdier downtown.
If your business is located in Tennessee or considering a move to the area, give our office a call at 615-610-0723 to meet with one of our experienced business law attorneys.
All information on this website is for general information purposes only and not intended as legal advice. Persons reading information found on this website should not act upon this information without seeking the advice of legal counsel. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.